The Research Center Borstel is an international, federal- and state-funded science company with 550 employees. Our central task is research and patient care in the field of respiratory diseases. We operate both, as an infrastructure of basic research as well as a medical clinic. We have one goal: to improve existing methods for the detection, prevention and treatment of lung diseases and to develop new, innovative therapeutic approaches.
Within the framework of a BMBF-funded project
TWO PhD positions (m/f) are available immediately at the
Research Center Borstel
The three-year funded project aims to find biomarkers for acute exacerbations of chronic lung diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and allergic asthma. For this reason, different in-vivo (Drosophila & mice models) and in-vitro models will be applied in order to identify and characterize biomarkers especially produced and released by the airway epithelium during an acute exacerbation. The positions are part of the research groups Experimental Pneumology (Prof. Dr. Heinz Fehrenbach) and Invertebrate Models (Dr. Christina Wagner) and are limited to a period of three years.
The successful candidate will work in detail on: Your qualifications:
- The establishment of in-vitro and in-vivo models (Drosophila & mouse models) for COPD and allergic asthma exacerbations
- The molecular and morphological characterization of the exacerbation related phenotype
- The identification of exacerbation-related biomarkers
- Candidates should hold a master’s degree (or equivalent) in Natural or Life Sciences
- Excellent English skills (written and communication)
- Knowledge of basic molecular and cell biology techniques (qRT-PCR, Western Blot etc)
- Experience in working with animals is appreciated but not a prerequisite
- You will work in a motivated interdisciplinary team
- Doctoral candidates benefit from the Borstel Biomedical Research School (BBRS) program
- Payment according to TVöD (VKA) of the German civil servant pay scale. The salary follows the agreement for doctoral students of the institute (65% TvÖD 13).
The Research Center Borstel encourages female candidates to apply and will be treated favorably in case of equal qualification. Disabled applicants with equal qualifications will be considered on a preferential basis. Travel and accommodation costs cannot be reimbursed. Further information can be found at www.fz-borstel.de.For any questions please contact Prof. Dr. Heinz Fehrenbach (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or Dr. Christina Wagner (email@example.com
Please send your complete application documents including a motivation letter and one letter of recommendation as one single pdf file until February 12th