The Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne is seeking applications for a full time
to be employed under a limited-time contract for 3 years (based on the WissZeitVG).
A PhD position is open in the Nüsken laboratory “Perinatal Programming - Mechanisms and Prevention by Nutritional Intervention” at the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University of Cologne, Germany (starting 1. January 2017). Our focus is to elucidate programming mechanisms of renal, metabolic and neurocognitive disease and to evaluate the effect of nutrional interventions on long-term health. The current project focuses on the effect of fatty acid supplementation during early life on neurocognitive and metabolic outcome. A variety of techniques will be applied to address our scientific goal, like: MRI scans, protein and gene analyses, histology and immunohistochemistry, metabolomics, behavioural tests. The research doctorate will have the chance to apply for the “Interdisciplinary Program of Molecular Medicine” at the Center of Molecular Medicine Cologne (CMMC), a joint Program of the faculty of medicine and the faculty of mathematics and natural sciences. This interdisciplinary program with an excellent international reputation in research and education in the area of "Molecular Medicine" does not only cover both research and complementary skills, but also offers individual mentoring by senior scientists in addition to the principal investigator of the research project. More information is available on http://www.zmmk.uni-koeln.de/ipmm
Your responsibilities will include:
- working on the research project focused on the effect of fatty acid supplementation during early life on the neurocognitive and metabolic outcome in rats
- animal work will include behavioral tests and MRI scans in cooperation with Max-Planck Institute (MPI) for Metabolism Research, Cologne
- molecular analyses like western blots, qRT-PCR, metabolomics
- immunohistochemical and immunofluorescence studies
- working in collaboration with an international team under supervision and leadership of the PI
- publishing original research papers
- MSc degree in biology, molecular life sciences or a related field
- a strong interest in programming of disease and applied biology
- candidates with experience in animal handling are preferred
- candidates master thesis in molecular biology or nutrition sciences are preferred
- previous experience in protein analyses, immunohistochemistry and bioinformatics is preferred
- candidates should be creative and capable of developing a competitive research project while working in collaboration with postdocs and other team members under the supervision of the team leader
Your salary will be based on TV-L.
Applications from female candidates are welcome; suitably qualified women will be given preferential consideration unless other applicants clearly demonstrate superior qualifications.
We also welcome applications from disabled candidates, who will also be given preferential consideration over other applicants with comparable qualifications.
The position is suitable for staffing with part-time employees.
Bitte beziehen Sie sich bei Ihrer Bewerbung auf jobvector und geben Sie die folgende Referenznummer an: e307
We prefer online applications, but you also have the opportunity to apply via regular mail
by 16. October 2016 quoting the reference number e307 to
Klinik und Poliklinik für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin
Dr. Kai-Dietrich Nüsken
Further information is available on the internet at
Details der Stellenanzeige
Über Uniklinik Köln
Als modernes Krankenhaus der Maximalversorgung zählen wir zu den führenden Universitätskliniken Deutschlands. Unsere 6.800 Beschäftigten bieten in mehr als 59 leistungsstarken Kliniken, Fachzentren und Instituten eine optimale Patientenversorgung und eine professionelle Aus-, Fort- und Weiterbildung. Mit rund 1.300 Betten sind wir eines der größten...Mehr über die Uniklinik Köln