PhD Position (m/f) - cell signaling pathways of the hemostatic system
PhD Position (m/f)
Reference number 977/16-V
The part-time position (65%) will be available with an initial limited contract of 2 years with the possibility of extension.
The laboratory of Prof. Wolfram Ruf investigates the cell signaling pathways of the hemostatic system. Beyond their role in blood clotting, several coagulation proteins have been reported to propagate inflammation in wide range of tissue resident as well as myelo/monocytic cells. Importantly localization of functionally active coagulation complexes within macrophages during early and advanced atherosclerotic lesions suggests a crucial role of these proteins in regulation of chronic inflammation. Likewise, macrophages are identified as primary source of inflammation in obesity resulting in the development of insulin resistance and type-2 diabetes, potential risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. The successful candidate will be expected to investigate the role of distinct coagulation proteins and their receptors (GPCRs-protease activated receptors) in regulation of chronic inflammation in metabolic syndrome-obesity with a special focus on macrophages and their cross talk with islet cells and adipocytes. We employ a combination of in vitro and in vivo approaches involving various genetically modified as well as mouse models with cell-specific deletion of coagulation proteins to characterize these mechanisms. For more information, please see the relevant publications (Badeanlou L, et al, Nature Medicine 2011, Samad F, Ruf W. Blood 2013).
- Independent experiment design and execution
- Data analysis
- Literature search
- Development of novel research hypotheses (supported by a Post-Doc / group leader)
- Presentation of the results in internal labmeetings and seminars
- Mentoring of students (Bachelor/Master)
- Presentation of the results on national / international congresses
- Preparation of a PhD thesis
- Diploma or Master degree in biological or biomedical sciences or equivalent
- Strong commitment to basic/translational research
- Any experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, cell culture, metabolism, working with animal models etc. is an advantage
- The candidate should have well-developed social skills and be able to work in a team
- Precise and structured working method and documentation skills
- Very good command of English and well developed computer literacy
- Excellent supervision in an international interdisciplinary team of motivated scientists
- Divers work program
- Training in a variety of methods
- Outstanding opportunities of (advanced) training and development
- Competitive salary (E13) and health care benefits according to the Company-based tariff agreement
- Childcare possibilities: if open spots available
- Job ticket as well as good travel connections
Your contact person for technical questions is Dr. Madhusudhan Thati, Tel. 06131 17-8014.
Further information under: www.cth-mainz.de
Application deadline: 13.11.2016
Have we aroused your interest? Then please send in your expressive documents (CV, cover letter, certificates, credentials), quoting the reference number 977/16-V, exclusively via email and if possible in one singular pdf-document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Servicecenter Personal und Recht – Recruiting Büro
Bitte beziehen Sie sich bei Ihrer Bewerbung auf jobvector und geben Sie die folgende Referenznummer an: Reference number 977/16-V
Details der Stellenanzeige
Über Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Unser Wissen für Ihre Gesundheit – die Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz ist mit mehr als 50 Fachkliniken, Instituten und Abteilungen die einzige Einrichtung dieser Art in Rheinland-Pfalz. Dabei sind für unsere über 7.000 Mitarbeiter Krankenversorgung, Forschung und Lehre untrennbar miteinander verbunden.Mehr über die Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz