The Leibniz-Institut DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH, Braunschweig offers a
within the DSMZ Plant Virus Department in Braunschweig, Germany.
The salary level will be TV-L 13. The position is for an initial duration of 3 years offered full time but not appropriate for part time work. Starting date will be as soon as possible.
The successful candidate will join the plant virology group in a BMZ/GIZ supported project: "Rapid Functional Validation through Virus Induced Gene Silencing of Resistance Genes in Cassava (Cassava VIGS)" and will be responsible for target identification, construct design and testing of VIGS constructs in cassava.
Candidates must hold a doctoral degree in plant biology, botany or a closely related field and should have a strong research background in plant molecular biology, bioinformatics and virology proven by a publication record in peer-reviewed journals. The researcher will work closely with an established international team of plant virologists and cassava researchers at DSMZ, Germany and at the international Institute of Tropical Agriculture IITA-Nairobi, Kenya.
The project aims to identify novel changes in mRNA metabolism that is linked with disease and pathogenesis and to validate candidate genes using VIGS. State-of-the-art genome-wide approaches will be employed and hence experience with next generation sequencing and data analysis is highly desirable.
Specific tasks include:
- Prediction of target sequences and design of appropriate silencing constructs;
- Establishment of infections in cassava with recombinant plant virus vector constructs;
- Elucidation of putative candidate gene functions by monitoring virus-induced changes during infection.
- A clear understanding of modern functional genomics and excellent molecular biology skills; preferably with experience in VIGS;
- Experience with both computational analysis and biological interpretation of transcriptome profiling data;
- Familiarity with the analysis of high throughput data (NGS), experience with RNAseq including library preparation, bioinformatics and statistics;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, enthusiastic and self-motivated.
The deadline for this application is April 30, 2015.
How to apply:
Kontakt für Bewerbungen
Interested candidates please send application documents, including curriculum vitae, list of publications, statement of research interests and experience, and contact information for three references to: Stephan.email@example.com