Volontär/ Trainee (m/f)
Major responsibilities include:
- Primarily supporting the team with English translations of German-language titles
- Examining/Verifyingauthor-submitted manuscripts—both text and art—for completeness, structure, consistency, language, and adherence to Thieme requirements
- Reviewing translations, copyediting, proofreading, and indexing
- Confirming permissions and patient consent
- Managing the acquisition of new illustrations
- Preparing manuscripts for pre-editing processing; liaising with Thieme Publishers Delhi throughout pre-editing and automatic page proof generation
- Preparing core material for CIP data applications
- Supporting MEs and PEs with project calculations requests
- Coordinating cover drafts and back cover copies and ancillary content
- Reviewing automatically generated PDF pages for approval for fine-tuned page layout; reviewing fine-tuned typeset pages for proper page makeup
- Reviewing and collating author/translator/proofreader corrections
Required skills and background:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English as well as in German
- Ability to work under pressure in a concentrated and efficient manner in order to meet tight deadlines
- High social competence with the ability to collaborate across internal departments (e.g., Acquisitions; Pre-Editing; Konzeption; e-Products; Marketing; Sales; Licensing) and to build working relationships with external partners (e.g., authors; translators; copyeditors; proofreaders; indexers; typesetters; printers)
- Solid organizational and project management skills
- Familiarity with international proofreading marks and basic principles of page makeup and composition
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat required; experience with XML, PhotoShop, and Illustrator highly desirable
- While working for Thieme Publishers and by participating at writing workshops, which have exclusively been designed for the trainees, you are acquiring editorial skills.
- We offer you a professional trainee curriculum, which will properly prepare you for future tasks in the publishing sector.
Please send us your online application quoting the reference number 15-100140-1 as well as your earliest possible starting date.This link will take you to the online application.