PhD Project on Stem Cell Biology in Diabetes Therapy
The PhD position is available starting as soon as possible. We offer a contract for three years.
The research interests of our group focus on the discovery of novel therapeutic targets for type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes by investigating the role of beta cell mass and function at distinct stages of diabetes pathogenesis and therapy. The unique approach of our lab in tackling these tasks is the study of islet of Langerhans biology under most physiological conditions. For that purpose we have established novel in situ and in vivo technical platforms to complement standard methods of islet research. A key aspect of our work is the translation of our research to the human situation. The successful applicant will participate in our studies to understand the bases of beta cell regeneration and the development of functionally mature beta cells from embryonic stem cells for cell replacement therapies of type 1 diabetes.
We aim at attracting the best talent in the respective research fields and expect the following:
- an outstanding masters university degree (or equivalent) in Biology, Biomedicine or a related topic
- hands-on research experience is required in the work with animal models, cell culture and imaging
- past experience in the field of stem cells, islets of Langerhans and/or diabetes is advantageous
- the ability to work in an international team/environment is essential
- inter- and multidisciplinary thinking, high motivation
- an integrative and cooperative personality with excellent communication and social skills
- fluency in English – written and oral
What we offer:
The biomedical campus in Dresden is an international and competitive scientific environment consisting of several research institutions and the University Clinic Carl Gustav Carus, which fosters strong interactions and excellent scientific exchange. The project will equip the candidate with a set of innovative, state-of-the-art live cell imaging, cell biology and cell physiology techniques. Furthermore, we actively promote independent and creative scientific thinking alongside with the ability to perform well in a team, to prepare our successful PhD students for future research tasks at the highest level.
Your application as one single pdf document should include:
1. Cover letter, indicating current and future research interests, career goals and your particular interest in this position
2. Description of research experience and accomplishments, including summary of previous research done during your master thesis (max. 2 pages) and a list of publications, if applicable;
3. CV, including copies of degree certificates and transcript of grades (i.e. the official list of coursework including your grades);
4. Two letters of recommendation or contact information for two references, including current supervisor.
Please submit your application by 15.05. 2017 by email as a single pdf document (using “surname_firstname.pdf”) to firstname.lastname@example.org (Please note: We are currently not able to receive electronically signed and encrypted data). Applications from women are particularly welcome. The same applies to people with disabilities.
by email as a single pdf document (using “surname_firstname.pdf”)
Bitte beziehen Sie sich bei Ihrer Bewerbung auf jobvector
Details der Stellenanzeige
Über Paul Langerhans Institute Dresden
The researchers of the Paul Langerhans Institute Dresden (PLID), which was founded in 2009, are elucidating the causes of diabetes mellitus and looking for more effective ways to prevent and treat this disease. The main focus of the PLID is on basic, translational and clinical research on pancreatic beta cells, which are responsible for production and secretion of insulin. The PLID is...Mehr über die Paul Langerhans Institute Dresden